Wednesday 24 June 2009

Today I did my first ever time trial. Started as always with a 10 miler, course B10/37R for those who might know what it all means. I was very nervous, god knows why its just a bike sesh. I had spoken to Sags and Jase about what to do, bith gave me some good advice and to warm up beforehand. This I duly did on my trusty/rusty turbo, but being a bit of a new boy i got to the start point a bit early and had to wait about 8 mins. Which was good as I wasnt really sure of how the number system worked, as number 8 I would leave at 19:08. Good. I started and must ensure to test whether I am clipped in or not, heard the click but on first pedal foot became detached, quickly put back in out of the saddle to build up the speed and I was off. I had been told to take it staedy for the first 3 mins but I had to tell myself this as I was getting a little carried away too early. It was windy and an angled head wind for the first 4 - 6 miles which I found tough. I tried to keep my speed up and succeeded most of the time. The wind was a killer and Although I had started my clock at the 30sec marker, the more I looked at it on the rolling route the longer it all appeared. I found that the more tired I became the lower my position got on my bike as I dropped behind my Tri bars even more to gain those extra seconds. I completed in 27:35, and once I returned to listen to the rest of the riders I realised that the weather was crap, well thats what they all said so my time didnt feel so bad after all. Will I do it again? Damn right, may even endeavour to get a proper tt saddle, it may stop my left leg going numb, and might even get some of those funky speedy looking overshoes, why? Cos if you feel faster it must help you go faster. Thanks for your advice Sags and Jase, I think the sub 25min may be a way off but its my next target, all done on a budget though, no bling here just hard work and effort.
See ya all soon

1 comment:

  1. Well done matey, that sub 25 will come on on soon enough. Its amazing how much the weather can effect your time.... When did that 10 with Sags my time at the turn point was 13:30!!! but with the wind behind me I still managed 23:11 so yours is a good effort!! Keep up the hard work!:)

    ReplyDelete